500 m s.l.m
St. Theodore, St. Paul and St. Peter
Monteleone d'Orvieto is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Terni in the Italian region Umbria, located about 35 km southwest of Perugia and about 60 km northwest of Terni.
According to 16th century historian Cipriano Manente, Monteleone was founded by the commune of Orvieto in 1052, as a castle guarding its southern boundaries. In 1373 Emperor Charles IV assigned it to the viscounts of Turrena, and later it was contended by several local barons such as the Corbara family and a nephew of Pope Sixtus IV. In 1481 it was returned to Orvieto.
In 1643, during the War of Castro, Monteleone was besieged and destroyed by the troops of Florence, allied with the pope and the Farnese.
Remains of the medieval walls, including the northern gate.
Church of SS. Apostoli Pietro e Paolo. It houses a Madonna with Child between Sts. Paul and Peter, once attributed to Perugino but most kiley from his collaborator Giacomo di Ser Guglielmo of Città della Pieve.
Church of SS. Crocifisso (17th century)
Medieval Torrione ("Big Tower"), offering a wide panorama of Umbria, Tuscany and Lazio.
Castel Brandetto (11th century, destroyed in 1350). Now it is a private-owned residence showing little remains of the medieval edifice.Orvieto is a city in southwestern Umbria, Italy situated on the flat summit of a large butte of volcanic tuff. The site of the city is among the most dramatic in Europe, rising above the almost-vertical faces of tuff cliffs that are completed by defensive walls built of the same stone.